Marches Careers Hub takes careers improvement in its stride
The LEP receives funding from the Careers and Enterprise Company (CEC) every year to operate its Careers Hub across Herefordshire, Shropshire and Telford & Wrekin. The hub supports schools and colleges in building modern and impactful careers education programmes through a network of partners and stakeholders.
The hub was launched in 2021 at an event attended by more than 160 delegates. Sixty-two of the 69 eligible institutions across The Marches are now supported by the hub team, with 55 of them matched to an enterprise adviser.
Enterprise advisers work strategically with the leadership of schools and colleges and are a vital part of the hub’s efforts to support schools and colleges in achieving the Gatsby Benchmarks, a national framework for careers education excellence across the UK.
The last year saw the hub launch a dedicated website and a full programme of Community of Practice events across the academic year, with a successful inaugural conference held in summer 2022.
Key achievements include:
- 5 enterprise advisers’ Community of Practice events delivered
- 8 careers leaders’ Community of Practice events delivered
- 3 inclusion Community of Practice events delivered
- 28 enterprise advisers recruited through Marches-wide promotional campaigns
- 5 Cornerstone Employer Group meetings held and work completed to design and implement a student-facing employability skills project for school year groups 7 & 8
During the academic year 21/22, average achievement across all eight Gatsby Benchmarks has risen from 3.68 to 5.38, against a national CEC target of 5.00.